Ten Frequently Asked Bible Questions
The Bible is the absolute and final authority in all religious matters. The Bible provides the answers to every question relative to one's relationship to God and his eternal destiny. It gives the answers in such plain and understandable language that it needs no interpretation or comment from men. Every person is responsible for his own soul and must learn the truth on every vital question pertaining to eternal life.
QUESTION ONE - WHY MUST WE OBEY JESUS CHRIST?
- We must hear Jesus Christ in all things. Acts 3:22-23
- Government would be on His shoulders. Isa. 9:6
- God speaks to us today through His Son. Heb. 1:1-2
- Jesus has all authority both in heaven and on earth. Matt. 28:18
- Christ is head over all things in the church. Eph. 1:20-23
QUESTION TWO - WHY MUST WE CONTINUE IN CHRIST WORD?
- We must continue in Jesus' Word. John 8:31-32
- God's Word is truth. John 17:17
- The Holy Spirit would guide the apostles into all truth. John 16:13
- The apostles wrote their revelation. Eph. 3:1-4
- Their writings produce the faith which brings life in the name of Jesus. John 20:30-31
- The faith was once delivered to the saints. Jude 3
QUESTION THREE - WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T KEEP THE WORD OF GOD?
- He has the curse of God on him. Gal. 1:8-9
- He does not have God. 2 John 9-10
- He becomes destitute of the truth. 1 Tim. 6:3-5
- God will add to him the plagues written in His book. Rev. 22:18-19
QUESTION FOUR - WHAT IS THE CHURCH OF THE NEW TESTAMENT?
- In relation to one another, it is the body. Eph. 4:4; 1 Cor. 12:20
- In relation to the world, it is the church. Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18
- In relation to the Savior, it is the body of the saved. Acts 2:47; Eph. 5:23
- In relation to the Christ, it is those who are in Christ. 2 Cor. 5:17; 2 Tim. 2:10
- In relation to authority, it is the kingdom bought with blood. Col. 1:13-14; Acts 20:28
- In relation to the family, it is the house of God. 1 Tim. 3:13-14; Eph. 2:19
QUESTION FIVE - MUST ONE BE A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH TO BE SAVED?
- Jesus is the Savior of the body which is the church. Eph. 5:23; 1:22-23 If one is not in the church, he is not of the saved.
- If one is not in the church, he is not of those bought with the blood. Acts 20:28
- If one is not of the church, he is not of the saved. Acts 2:47
- Those bought with the blood make up the church as well as the kingdom. Col. 1:13-14 If one is not in the church, he is not in the kingdom that will be delivered up. I Cor. 15:24
- The church is the house or family of God. 1 Tim. 3:13-14. If one is not in the family or church, he is not an heir. Gal. 4:7
QUESTION SIX - WILL GOOD PEOPLE OF ALL CHURCHES BE SAVED?
- Not everyone, but he that doeth. Matt. 7:21
- Those who act without law will be rejected. Matt. 7:23
- There are many false prophets. 1 John 4:1
- One can believe a lie and be damned. 2 Thess. 2:11-12
- God does not approve of religious division. John 17:20-21; 1 Cor. 1:10; Eph. 4:3-6
- Those who practice division cannot go to heaven. Gal. 5:19-20; 1 Cor. 3:3
QUESTION SEVEN - WHAT MUST I DO TO BE SAVED?
- Hear and learn the gospel. Rom. 10:17; John 6:45
- Believe in Jesus as the Christ. John 6:29; 8:24; Rom. 10:10
- Repent of all sins. Luke 13:3-5; Acts 3:19; 17:30
- Confess Christ. Matt. 10:32-33; Rom. 10:9-10
- Be baptized. Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21
QUESTION EIGHT - WHY MUST I BE BAPTIZED?
- Because Christ commanded it. Mark 16:16
- For (unto) the remission of sins. Acts 2:38
- To wash away sins. Acts 22:16
- Because Peter said that baptism saves. 1 Pet. 3:21
- To enter Christ. Gal. 3:26-27
- To reach the atoning blood of Christ shed in his death. Rom. 6:3-4; John 19:34
QUESTION NINE - IF I DON'T - WHAT THEN?
- Heed the warnings of God. Heb. 3:12; 1 Cor. 10:12
QUESTION TEN - CAN THE SAVED FALL AWAY AND BE LOST?
- Some had fallen from grace. Gal. 5:1-4,13
- The "beloved" may be led away with error. II Pet. 3:17
- A "brother" may err from the truth. James 5:19-20
- Weak "brother" may perish. I Cor. 8:11
- "Brethren" may fall into condemnation. James 5:12
- A "brother" can depart and be harden through sin. Heb. 3:12-13
- Even the apostle Paul himself could have become a castaway. 1 Cor. 9:27
Again, we encourage you to get your own Bible and read the above Bible references for yourself "to see if those things are so" (Acts 17:11). Beware of men because they will deceive you–"in cunning craftiness they lie in wait to deceive" (Eph. 4:14). "And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works." (2 Cor. 11:14-15). Therefore, always study the Bible for yourself. Accept those things found in the God's Word, and boldly reject those things not found therein. Remember, the Bible is the only authority and it alone will judge us in the last day. "Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is." (Eph. 5:17) May the Eternal God richly bless you in your efforts to please Him.
By David J. Riggs
The Newton church of Christ